UCOP celebrates Bike to Work Day this week
May is National Bike Month, and you can join bike commuters at UCOP and elsewhere by biking to work on Bike to Work Day or by joining the Team Bike Challenge all month.
There are lots of ways to join the fun:
- Bike to work on Thursday, May 8, when there will be bike energizer stations located throughout the Bay Area to get refreshments along your route.
- Enjoy the annual pancake breakfast from 7 to 9 a.m. at Oakland City Hall or Bike Happy Hour in Old Oakland from 5 to 8:30 p.m.
- Join a UCOP team in the Team Bike Challenge, in which teams compete to log the most miles throughout the month of May. Last year, more than 30 cyclists at UCOP logged more than 3,600 miles in the month of May.
Look for the complete Bike to Work and School Guide in the April 30 print edition of the East Bay Express.
UCOP supports bike commuting by offering showers and secure bike parking in the Franklin Street employee garage and at the Kaiser Building. To have Franklin bike-parking authorization added to your UCOP employee ID card, contact the Work Management Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. Processing may take a few hours, so be sure to arrange this before biking to work. At Franklin, showers and day-use lockers are by the elevator on the 9th floor. (Bring your own toiletries and towel.)
To get Kaiser building access to parking and showers, contact Kaiser Building Management at KaiserCenter@Swigco.com. There is also a shower on the fourth floor of the 20th St. building, aka Oakland Scientific Facility or OSF, located at 415 20th St.
For more information about the Team Bike Challenge, contact Ryan Chan at email@example.com.
For more information, visit these community resources:
- 511 SF Bay Area: Bicycling Resource Guide
- BikeLink (secure bike parking at BART)
- Bike East Bay (formerly EBBC)
- Walk Oakland Bike Oakland
- Oakland Bicycle and Pedestrian Program
- San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
- Bikes on BART