Box is coming! New online file storage and sharing service
Box, an online file storage and sharing service, will be available to UCOP staff beginning March 7. Box is an additional productivity tool to use if you wish – it does not replace any existing tools and/or services.
What is Box?
Box is an online application that stores files and folders in the cloud. The benefits of using it include:
- Documents can be accessed from any location with internet access by using a web browser, Box sync or the Box mobile app.
- Box lets you easily share documents and folders with colleagues both within and outside UC. You can email links and password-protect your documents.
- Multiple users can edit the same document at the same time (a feature that is not available on your shared drive, myCloud or local (C) drive).
Box is easy-to-use and facilitates collaboration with colleagues.
When will Box arrive?
Box will roll out on March 7. You will receive an announcement email from the IT Service Desk with instructions for using it.
How will I learn how to use Box?
- Box is very intuitive and easy-to-use! Most people use it without any formal training.
- Box provides you with a Getting Started folder that contains both a quick reference guide as well as a detailed user guide with step-by-step instructions (including screenshots) and a searchable topic index. These resources will remain in Box so that you can use them any time you wish.
- The Getting Started folder also has links to Box University, which provides free webinars/videos for specific topics.
- Brown Bags will provide you with an overview of the service, a quick tour of the site and an introduction to the user guide.
Box Brown Bag schedule
All sessions will take place from 12 to 1 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 7 in Franklin 12322
- Friday, March 10 in Franklin 11326
- Monday, March 13 in 415 20th St., Room 302
- Tuesday, March 14 in Franklin 12322
- Thursday, March 16 in 415 20th St., Room 302
- Monday, March 20 in Franklin 11326
If you have questions about this transition, please contact Mark Cruz at Mark.Cruz@ucop.edu or 987-0006.