Important tax and payroll reminders
Going, going — 2019 is almost gone! As you begin holiday celebrations and look forward to the new year, Local HR and the UCPath Center have some important year-end and new-year reminders to share. Please read closely and mark your calendar for upcoming deadlines.
January 18, 2020: Tax information deadline
The UCPath Center will begin processing W-2s in late January. In order to ensure that the information on your W-2 is complete, accurate and reaches you, please take the following steps by January 18.
- Verify your home mailing and personal email address in UCPath online. Even if you plan to opt for a digital W-2, it’s important that UC can reach you.
- Verify your dependents. UC needs the social security numbers of your spouse/domestic partner and any dependents. To review and update, log into UCPath online and go to Employee Actions > Health and Welfare > Dependent Coverage.
- Opt-in to receive your W-2 electronically. It’s easy, safe and oh-so-convenient! Sign up today at UCPath online.
- International workers: Verify your GLACIER account information. International persons receiving UC wages may receive either a W-2 or 1042-S. Verify that your email and home mailing addresses match exactly in UCPath online and in the GLACIER database to ensure that your tax information is sent correctly. You can also opt for an electronic 1042-s through GLACIER.
Other important notes:
- UCOP employees will receive one W-2 statement from UCPath for the 2019 tax year.
- Regardless of what UCOP location you work in, Box C of the 1095 Affordable Care Act form will display the UCPath address as your employer
Federal and State Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- All W-2 notifications include IRS Notice 797, alerting you that you may be eligible for the federal EITC, a benefit for working people with low to moderate income. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to file. The federal EITC reduces the amount of tax you owe and may give you a refund. For more information, visit the IRS website or contact the IRS at 1 (800) 829-3676.
- Similarly, you may be eligible for the California EITC. To claim this credit, you must file a CA income tax return and complete and attach the CA EITC form (FTB 3514). For more information visit the Franchise Tax Board website or call 1 (800) 852-5711.
Claiming Exemption from Withholding
The IRS requires you to complete a new W-4 form each year if you are claiming exemption from tax withholding. If you wish to claim exemption from withholding in 2020, you must make this choice on UCPath online before Feb. 15, 2020.
2020 payroll notices
- Employees paid monthly will receive payment for December 2019 earnings on Jan. 2, 2020. View the 2020 monthly payroll calendar.
- Employees paid biweekly will receive the first paycheck of 2019 on Jan. 8, 2020. View the 2020 biweekly payroll calendar.
Have questions or need help?
Please visit UCPath and click on “Ask UCPath Center” to submit an inquiry. You may also call the UCPath Center at (855) 982‐7284 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (PDT) Monday through Friday to speak with an associate.Tags: taxes, UCPath Center, W-2, W-4