What’s new for 2019-2020 performance appraisals
The UCOP annual performance appraisal process — covering performance between April 1, 2019, and March 31, 2020 — began Monday, March 9. Read the information below, and access appraisal guides on the learning resources page. View the classes and workshops page for upcoming employee and manager trainings.
About the performance appraisal process
Annual performance appraisals provide an opportunity for you to reflect on your accomplishments over the past year, receive feedback, define areas of improvement and set goals for the coming year. This process is an essential part of the work experience and gives all of us a role in managing our job satisfaction and career development.
Ideally, you and your manager should discuss performance and career development throughout the year; the appraisal process is an opportunity to measure and capture your progress. The ultimate goal of performance appraisals is that at the end of the process, you will know where you stand and will receive guidance toward future success.
What to expect this year
To improve this annual process, the UCOP Performance Appraisal Redesign Workgroup collected feedback from UCOP staff through surveys and in-person sessions. Some of this input has already been implemented. This year’s forms have been simplified, with fewer redundancies. The optional multi-rater form has been scaled from five to three questions, making it easier to provide employee feedback.
This will be the last performance appraisal that we’ll complete in Halogen. In June, once the year-end process is complete, Human Resources will provide training on the new ePerformance system, which will be integrated with UCPath. More information is coming soon.
Timeline for 2019-20 UCOP annual performance appraisals
- March 9: Halogen e-appraisal tool opens for the 2018-2019 annual performance review process.
- March 9 – 30: Employees complete self-evaluations in Halogen. For departments using multi-rater feedback, the feedback forms can be launched as soon as the employee self-appraisal is completed.
- By May 1: Managers write employee performance reviews in Halogen.
- May 1 – 8: First-level review. Managers review individual/team ratings with next-level manager(s).
- May 11 – 22: Second-level review. Division leaders review division-wide ratings; UCOP HR and Operations review division ratings.
- May 25 – 29: Third-level review. Chief Operating Officer and President’s Office reviews division ratings and UCOP distribution.
- June 1 – 2: Halogen closes for merit process data collection.
- June 3 – 28: Halogen reopens. Managers deliver evaluations to employees. Managers and employees sign off on performance appraisals; all ratings complete in Halogen.
- June 30: All final sign-offs by Employees and Managers completed – Halogen closes to complete the FY18/19 Performance Evaluation Process.
Performance appraisal resources
- Access appraisal guides on the learning resources page.
- View the classes and workshops page for upcoming employee and manager trainings.
- Watch an archived version of the employee webinar.
- For questions about the appraisal process, please contact your HR business partner.
Watch for more information about the performance appraisal process in future issues of Link!
Tags: local HR, performance appraisal, professional development