Career webinars this week: Managing others and success in the health care industry
The UC Alumni Career Network continues to offer impactful career webinars for alumni, faculty, staff and other members of the UC community. Catch the next episodes coming up this week!
Can’t make the live webinars? No problem. Archived versions will be available on the UC Alumni Career Network website.
Career Advancement: Tips for managing others
Tuesday, April 21, 12-1 p.m.
Offered via Zoom — Register now
For many, career growth is accompanied by the added responsibility of managing others. Learn techniques to expand and enhance your management skills through this one-hour, interactive webinar. Whether you’re an early career professional who aspires to lead a team, a new manager looking for tips to develop your supervisory skills, or an experienced supervisor in search of new insights to motivate your team, this webinar will discuss the ins and outs of managing and inspiring others.
Topics will include:
- What prospective leaders should know before entering their new role
- How the best leaders keep employees motivated and inspired
- Advice for managers with challenging team members
- Addressing difficult situations as a leader
- Techniques for effective delegation
- Customizing leadership approaches for a diverse team
- Moderator: Rose Nakamoto, Director, Santa Clara University Career Center
- Speaker: Chris MacLaughlin, Chief Marketing Officer, IBM Global Partner Ecosystem
Professional Success in Health Care + Medicine: Advice for Mid-Career and Beyond
Thursday, April 23, 12-1 p.m.
Offered via Zoom – Register now
Not only are health care and medicine among the most popular fields for UC alumni, these professions often top the list of occupations with the highest burnout rates. Join us in April 2020 for an in-depth e-conversation with fellow UC alumni working in health care and medicine to discuss positioning yourself for long-term professional success. From finding your professional fit and navigating career change to advancing into leadership positions or shifting away from patient-centered work, this panel will offer insights and advice to help you prepare for your next career steps.
Topics will include:
- Maintaining balance between a demanding profession and personal priorities outside of work
- Advice for those interested in teaching or seeking an academic appointment
- How volunteer roles can contribute to professional development
- Advice for those considering starting an independent business
- Moderator: Mallika Marshall (UC San Francisco), Physician, Harvard Medical School and Health Reporter, WBZ-TV Boston
- Yama Akbari (UCLA, UC Irvine), Assistant Professor of Neurology & Neurological Surgery, UC Irvine
- Sheree Criner, M.S., R.N.-B.C. (UC Davis), Nurse Manager, Kaiser Permanente
- Leah Maddock Loh, (UC Berkeley, UCLA), Project Manager, Kaiser Permanente
Note: While this webinar is open to all UC alumni, the content of this program is specifically designed for mid and later career professionals in the fields of health care and medicine.
Questions? Contact Katrina.Ward@ucop.edu.
Tags: health care, people managers, professional development, UC Alumni Career Network