Professional development opportunities for managers and staff at all levels
UCOP Learning and Development offers a wealth of professional growth opportunities to help employees at all levels reach their career goals. Targeted programming and resources are available to help managers succeed and grow, individually and as team leaders. This includes courses, workshops and resources focused on strengthening general professional skills, as well as those specific to leading people and teams.
For managers at all levels: People Leader Forums
Monthly People Leader Forums offer an opportunity for people managers at all UCOP locations to connect with one another to build community, share best practices and strategies for managing current challenges, and learn to better support themselves and their teams. People Leaders Forums are held the third Friday of each month from 1-2 p.m. (PT). Register online here for these upcoming forums:
- Aug. 20, 2021: What is psychological safety anyway?
- Sept. 17, 2021: Hybrid work
- Oct. 15, 2021: Emotional intelligence
- Nov. 19, 2021: Effective 1:1s
UCOP colleagues have rated past forums as 4.7 out of five. As one participant shared: “The forum focused on concrete issues and provided a supportive and candid space to talk about strategies, without pretending that everything has a solution.”
For experienced managers: Manager CORE
Manager CORE is a research-based cohort program that provides an opportunity for experienced managers to gain deep knowledge on specific topics related to people management. Designed by our valued vendor LifeLabs Learning, participants will be rapidly equipped with critical skills to be more effective and inclusive leaders. Participants are expected to attend all five two-hour workshops:
- Sept. 22, 2021: Coaching Skills
- Oct. 6, 2021: Feedback Skills
- Oct. 20, 2021: Productivity & Prioritization
- Nov. 3, 2021: Effective 1-1’s
- Feb. 9, 2022: Manager Intensive
Manager CORE participants will be nominated by chiefs of staff from each division, in consultation with Nancy Pluzdrak.
For current and aspiring managers: PM-ILP
The People Management Integrated Learning Program (PM-ILP) is a cohort designed to complement the online systemwide People Management Series and Certificate. Participants complete online courses independently, then meet monthly for workshop-based sessions in which they learn how to apply the skills they’ve learned to maximum effect and explore topics in more depth. The next cohort begins in January 2022. Register for a PM-ILP information session in October/November. Here is some of the participant feedback from our first cohort in 2020-2021:
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed that the program facilitation was effective
- 93% agreed or strongly agreed that PM-ILP helped prepare them for a future leadership role, or to grow in their current leadership role
- “Even though I’ve been with UC for more than 20 years, some of this was brand new information —which is excellent!”
- “This felt like going to a graduate school with like-minded, curious, appreciative and thoughtful colleagues.”
For new managers: ME@UCOP
Manager Essentials at UCOP (ME@UCOP) is a new cohort program for new managers who are interested in learning essential UCOP processes, policies, competencies and leadership philosophies while building community and connection with their peers. The inaugural cohort is scheduled to begin in September 2021. Nancy Pluzdrak will partner with division leaders and the chief of staff to recommend participants for the inaugural cohort.
For aspiring leaders: ALD
The Aspiring Leaders Development Program (ALD), facilitated by LifeLabs Learning, is designed for UCOP staff interested in exploring leadership roles and career development. It provides an opportunity to learn and develop leadership skills without having a formal leadership position. The next cohort begins in September 2021 and applications are closed. Applications for the Spring 2022 cohort will open in January 2022. Learn more about ALD. Here is some of the participant feedback from our first cohort in Spring 2021:
- 94% found the program to be valuable and applicable
- 94% recommend the program to others
- “The program was exceptionally well-organized. The modules and content were very detailed, relevant and practical.”
- “The material was very helpful, well researched and directly applicable, with worksheets and diagrams for personal use.”
For all staff: Register for live classes and workshops through the UC Learning Center
We offer a wide variety of classes each month geared to staff and leaders at all levels. For current course listings, visit the Link calendar and Link classes and workshops page.
For all staff: On-demand training through LinkedIn Learning
All UCOP staff have access to a no-charge LinkedIn Learning membership, which includes tens of thousands of virtual courses on professional skills, including communication, software, technology and interpersonal skills. This includes the LinkedIn Learning mobile app, through which you can download courses for offline viewing and listen podcast-style. For help accessing and using your account, visit our LinkedIn Learning FAQs.
UCOP Learning and Development has developed collections of personally recommended courses for UCOP staff, including:
- Working Remotely for Managers
- Leading and Working in Times of Complexity and Stress
- Employee Engagement
- View all UCOP LinkedIn Learning Collections
For questions on any of these programs, please contact Annie Prozan or the Learning and Development department.Tags: career growth, leadership development, professional development