Safety reminders and new security measures for all UCOP staff
The following message was sent to all UCOP staff on March 9, 2022.
As more staff are beginning to return to working on-site, below are some important safety tips and reminders about traveling to and from the office. Also below is information about some additional security measures we have put in place for the new Franklin-Broadway Campus.
Safety tips and reminders for all locations
The guidelines below and in this printable safety tips sheet (PDF) are important reminders for helping to ensure your personal safety, especially when entering or leaving the building.
- Trust your gut instinct: If you sense that something is unsafe, leave the area and go to a place that is safe
- Stay off your cellphone when walking and be aware of your surroundings
- Carry bags, purses and packages in front of rather than behind you
- Take only well-traveled, well-lit routes when walking
- Park your car in a garage or on a well-lit street
- Put your belongings out of sight when leaving your car and check your surroundings before you get out of your car
- Only visit ATMs and public restrooms in well-lit, public areas, especially if you’re visiting at night
- Report incidents quickly
- Take advantage of building security escorts when working at night and request an escort to your car and/or public transportation
Franklin-Broadway Campus security measures
In addition to the personal safety reminders above, here are some reminders and information about UCOP’s safety and security measures for Oakland staff:
- Staff and visitors can request an escort to their car or BART in one of the following ways:
— UCOP Security escorts are available between 6:30 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. between the Franklin-Broadway Campus and nearby parking and transit locations. Contact UCOP Security at 510-987-9700 at least 30 minutes in advance.
— Security escorts are available as part of the city of Oakland’s Block-by-Block Ambassador program. Call 510-898-8592 or go to downtownoakland.org/clean-safe. The ambassadors wear distinctive yellow vests and are present in the downtown Oakland business districts for additional security.
- UCOP security officers patrol the Franklin and Broadway buildings 24 hours a day/seven days a week.
— Franklin Building: UCOP security officers patrol all floors as well as the Franklin Garage during and after regular business hours.
— Broadway Building: UCOP security officers patrol UCOP floors and the UCOP Conference Center throughout the day. The 1100 Broadway building lobby, garage and building exterior are patrolled by 1100 Broadway building Security staff during and after regular business hours.
- The Franklin Garage entrance has been and will continue to be closed with access monitored by security officers.
- If you drive to work on a regular basis, you are encouraged to ask for a new parking tag that lets you enter the garage without leaving your car. To request one, contact the Work Management Center at 510-987-0600.
- Security cameras are present at exterior, parking and common circulation areas in both buildings and are monitored for employee safety.
- To stay abreast of any emerging issues and related actions, we are in contact with Oakland city leaders, the Oakland Police Department and the UC Berkeley Police Department.
We hope this information is helpful and reinforces the importance we place on everyone’s safety and well-being. As always, please continue to take care of yourself and stay safe.
Nancy Pluzdrak, Executive Director, UCOP Human Resources
Steven Murray, Director, Building and Administrative Service Center
Resources to support you
- Behavioral Health Resources: Behavioral health resources are available through UC’s health care plans.
- Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP): All UCOP employees can access free behavioral counseling services through FSAP.
- UCOP Ombuds Office: The Ombuds Office offers assistance in dealing with workplace-related conflict, as well as many additional resources.