Build dialogue with colleagues at a 3Practice Circle session
At the Employee Engagement Survey town hall in August, presenters shared UCOP’s results from the 2021 Systemwide Engagement Survey and discussed priority areas that we will focus on to make UCOP a more equitable workplace. Key among these was building a culture where all employees feel comfortable voicing their thoughts, opinions and concerns — and know that they will be heard.
To meet this goal, UCOP Human Resources and the Ombuds Office are holding 3Practice Circle sessions to facilitate dialogue between colleagues and help us connect as a community. The 3Practice Circle methodology provides a structured safe space for participants to learn about other people’s experiences, share their own experiences, identify and talk through challenges and find a path towards bridging differences. A 3Practice Circle isn’t a debate, discussion or therapy group; it’s a safe space for clarity and understanding — with no obligation to agree — and an opportunity to exercise your listening and communication skills.
How 3Practice Circle sessions work
- A facilitator shares a Framing Question for the conversation (e.g. How have the social issues and concerns of the past few years impacted you? What lessons have you learned?)
- One volunteer responds to the Framing Question, taking up to two minutes. All other circle members listen without interrupting.
- When the volunteer finishes, anyone can ask a clarifying question, starting with the words, “I’d be curious to know…” Circle members have up to 20 seconds to ask the volunteer a question. The volunteer has up to 60 seconds to respond.
- Another volunteer takes a turn answering the Framing Question, with the group following the steps above.
- Once everyone who would like to answer the framing question has done so, the Circle ends with an opportunity for members to individually thank someone who asked good questions or inspired thought and dialogue.
Sign up for a 3Practice Circle session
UCOP’s 3Practice Circle sessions include virtual sessions as well as on-site workshops in Oakland and at the UCPath Center opportunities. Register online here for all sessions. Framing questions vary depending on the session; all listings reflect Pacific Time.
FQ 1: “This is what would change at UCOP/UCPath if my voice were heard”
|Oakland (on-site)||Dec. 15, 2022, 2 – 3:30 p.m.|
|UCPath Center (on-site)||Dec. 6, 2022, 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Dec. 8, 2022, 1:30 – 3 p.m.
|Zoom||Jan. 24, 2023, 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.|
FQ 2: “This is what I lost or discovered during COVID”
|Oakland (on-site)||Jan. 12, 2023, 1 – 2:30 p.m.
Jan. 26, 2023, 1 – 2:30 p.m.
Feb. 21, 2023, 2:30 – 4 p.m.
|Zoom||Nov. 21, 2022, 10 – 11:30 a.m.|
Learn more about the 3Practice Circle methodology.
For questions, please contact Callale Concon at email@example.com or 510-587-6130.Tags: 3Practice Circle, Communication, Ombuds Office, UCOP HR