Become an expert communicator with these courses
UCOP Learning & Development is excited to announce a new three-course pairing: the Communication Series.
In these highly-rated courses, participants will learn about various types of workplace communication relevant to in-person, hybrid and remote experiences, including writing clearly, developing engaging presentations and demonstrating effective professional interactions.
Communications Series courses
Select each course name below to register. Listings reflect Pacific Time.
Communication in the Workplace
Feb. 22, 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. (Register by 6 p.m. on Feb. 19)
Led by popular instructor Raj Kapur of the Center for Project Management, this workshop delivers tools and techniques to enhance your professional presence and emotional intelligence. Learn verbal and non-verbal communication techniques to facilitate effective engagement and make a positive professional impact. Previous participants have rated this course 5/5.
- “The instructor was very interactive and the information was well-researched.”
- “Raj is an informed and engaging instructor with a good sense of humor.”
- “The class was paced well and the materials provided were excellent and immediately useful.”
March 7 & 10, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Highly rated trainer Barbara Nelson facilitates this workshop directed towards all professionals who want to be confident that their communications are clear and correct. We’ll tackle the basics of business writing, from constructing clear sentences to making sure work is grammatically correct and punctuated appropriately. Topics include constructing clear sentences, eliminating grammatical errors, using correct punctuation and applying correct capitalization. Previous participants have rated this course 4.95/5.
- “Barbara does a really good job of explaining how to write effective emails.”
- “The workbook provided was easy to use and to follow.”
- “The class was engaging and fun. Best of all, I can apply the knowledge to my job immediately.”
Delivery Skills for Connecting with Your Audience
March 22 & March 29, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
No matter who you’re presenting to, how you share your information matters. UCOP Learning and Development Specialist Oscar Lara will lead this interactive workshop focused on helping you gain the skills needed to make your next presentation a success. We’ll identify common presentation and public-speaking anxieties, then learn to prepare for and overcome them; explore presentation styles and techniques to keep your audience engaged; and discover new tips and tricks to make your presentations stand out!
Come with a recent presentation, outline or presentation idea to practice and workshop. In response to feedback from participants — who have rated this course 5/5 — we have extended this offering to two sessions to allow for more time to practice skills and receive feedback from peers in breakout rooms and the group setting.
- “Oscar was easy to follow and incredibly engaging.”
- “I appreciated that Oscar shared several strategies that can be applied for effective delivery.”
- “Oscar was very animated and easy to follow.”
For questions about the Communications Series, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. View all upcoming classes on the Link Classes and Workshops page.
Tags: classes and workshops, Communication, professional development