UC Women’s Initiative: Apply or nominate someone by March 24
Nominations and applications are open through March 24 for the UC Women’s Initiative for Professional Development (UC WI), a systemwide experiential professional development program for mid-career woman-identified professionals and those who support the advancement of woman-identified professionals. Participants include faculty, academic personnel and staff — both people managers and individual contributors. (See below for criteria).
UC WI seeks participants who have demonstrated the potential to advance their careers at UC. The cohort teaches them to fully participate, succeed and advance at the university, with the goal of employee retention.
UC WI typically takes place in person but will be offered virtually for the 2023/2024 program year in support of ongoing remote work requirements. Otherwise, the format will be similar to prior years.
Benefits of participating in UC WI
- Build strategic relationships systemwide
- Learn to actively communicate your value to the organization
- Advocate for your needs in the workplace
- Demonstrate your value to UCOP and UC by coaching others
- Increase your awareness of diverse UC career paths
Please visit the UC WI website for more information, including participant testimonials.
2023-24 UCOP nomination process: Open Feb. 27 – March 24, 2023
- Program applicants can self-nominate or be nominated by a supervisor or other leader.
- Please use this Smartsheet UCOP UC WI nomination form for self-nomination or to nominate someone.
- The application requires each applicant to submit answers to three questions and provide names for two recommenders, one of whom must be the applicant’s supervisor. Recommendation forms are automatically sent to the necessary people once an applicant self-nominates or is nominated.
- All parts of the application must be complete by March 24, 2023.
- All supervisors should meet with nominees to ensure they can attend the program dates. The exact dates are listed on the UC WI website.
- UC WI holds three regional cohorts in Northern California and Southern California, with 120 total participants. UCOP can send 12 participants (six to each region).
- The UCOP WI Nomination Committee includes past UC WI participants in partnership with UCOP UC WI leads — Talent and Organizational Development Manager Annie Prozan, PACSW Chair Amy Vrizuela and UCOP Human Resources Executive Director Nancy Pluzdrak. This committee determines the final participants using the criteria listed below.
- Applicants will be notified of their selection status the week of April 21, 2023.
- Systemwide UC WI leads will communicate selected participants and alternates by April 21, 2023.
UCOP participant criteria
Each applicant must:
- Be a woman-identified professional or someone who supports the advancement of woman-identified professionals at UCOP
- Be a UCOP policy-covered or represented staff, in a career or contract appointment
- Have at least five years of service with UC, including at least one year at UCOP
- Be a mid-career professional with demonstrated potential for career growth
- Have a “meet expectations” or above on their last performance evaluation
- Fully commit to participate in all sessions and complete all required intersession assignments
- Represent the diversity of UCOP
- Demonstrate commitment to UC’s mission and vision
- Demonstrate commitment to self-development
- Have commitment and support from their manager/supervisor
By nominating an individual, the nominee’s department is agreeing to cover all fees. This year’s participant fee is $1,250, which covers virtual program delivery and all program resources, tools and support. This is a $200 increase over the current program fee to accommodate an in-person networking and development session which is expected to be offered during the program year.
In future years, fees will increase to cover in-person session costs. Travel and other expenses for in-person programming will be paid by the participant’s location.
For more details and information, please visit the UC WI page or contact the UCOP UC WI leads:
- Annie Prozan, Talent and Organizational Development Manager
- Amy Vrizuela, PACSW chair
- Nancy Pluzdrak, executive director, UCOP Human Resources
UC WI is sponsored by the Office of the President and the Systemwide Advisory Committee on the Status of Women (SACSW); it is offered by Systemwide Human Resources in partnership with Coro Northern California. It is co-facilitated by Coro Northern California and UC WI graduates.Tags: leadership development, professional development, UC WI