Skip the elevators and take the stairs
There’s still time for you to take part in UCOP’s Take the Stairs campaign!
If you work in or near the Franklin Building, head over to the southeast stairwell for floor competition challenges on Tuesday, May 8 and Thursday, May 10 and for an ongoing scavenger hunt. On the last day of the challenge — Wednesday, May 16 — join UC Walks, with fun events for all Oakland and Riverside UCOP employees.
Although the Take the Stairs campaign is limited to the Franklin Building this year, all UCOP employees are encouraged to add physical activity to your routine whenever and wherever they can. If you are physically unable to participate in the Take the Stairs campaign but would still like to be eligible for prizes, please send an email to TakeTheStairs@ucop.edu.
The campaign is sponsored by the Global Food Initiative’s Healthy Campus Network (HCN).
Scavenger Hunt (May 1 – 16)
Take the southeast stairs of UCOP’s Franklin Building every work day between the 5th and 12th floors and find the activity image posted in the stairwell. Send a quick email to TakeTheStairs@ucop.edu with the date, floor number where the image was posted, and activity in the image. Limited to one entry per person per day. Prizes will be awarded on May 8 for week one and May 16 for week two, with a grand prize drawing for the most participation over the two-week challenge.
You can enter once a day, and the more days you participate, the greater your chance to win.
Floor Challenge Competition (May 8 and 10)
Take two flights of stairs during the designated challenge window and enter to win a prize.
- May 8, 11:45 a.m. to 12 p.m: Pick up your ticket at the 5th floor southeast stairs, climb to the 7th floor, and someone will be on hand to take your ticket and enter you into the drawing.
- May 10, 12:45-1 p.m.: Pick up your ticket at the 9th floor southeast stairs, climb to the 11th floor, and someone will be on hand to take your ticket and enter you into the drawing.
Win a prize
- $10 gift certificates to High XII Café
- $10 gift certificates to Fountain Café
- 20-minute chair massages (provided by Michael O’Keefe, licensed massage therapist)
- Hydro Flask water bottles
Take the Stairs survey (May 9 and May 16)
To help UCOP improve, stop by the Franklin lobby on May 9 or May 16 to complete a quick anonymous survey about your stair use, barriers to taking the stairs, and thoughts on the Take the Stairs campaign. If you would like to participate in a prize drawing, you will need to include your contact information. Surveys will be available in the morning (7:45 – 9 a.m.) and at lunchtime (11:45 a.m. – 1 p.m.).
Send questions to TakeTheStairs@ucop.edu.