Oakland furniture update
The results are in from the UCOP Oakland furniture survey and Building and Administrative Services (BASC) has determined its winner.
And the vendor is…
“We have selected Steelcase as the furniture vendor based on these findings, cost and feedback from the vendor presentations,” says Steve Murray, director, BASC.
Here are some highlights from the survey results:
- More than 380 employees participated —about 25%. This is a very high outcome for a voluntary survey.
- Ratings of the vendors’ overall quality, aesthetics, functionality and accessories were nearly identical; however, Steelcase was the clear winner in privacy ratings, with 60% preferring its proposed solution.
- There was very strong support for the ergonomic features planned for the furniture.
- Storage expectations for both paper files and other materials were in keeping with our planning.
- There was strong interest in using alternate workspaces, particularly familiar gathering spaces, such as the kitchen/pantry and conference rooms.
- Interestingly, more than half of respondents feel they handle confidential information classified at a very high level. We will focus on this issue during final design and change management.
Curious to learn more about your coworkers’ responses? Log into Box, where you’ll find them in the 1100 Broadway Public > Furniture folder.
Now that a vendor has been selected, BASC is working to determine the specific furniture options and arrangements that will be available to staff. Expect to see updated mock-ups before the end of the year. The stacking plan (arrangement of employees on each floor) is also being adjusted. Once finalized, it will be posted downstairs and shared individually with departments. And, it’s almost time to start packing your boxes: We’ll start moving no later than June 1, 2020.
Questions? Please contact Steve Murray.Tags: BASC, furniture, oakland, UCOP news