6 ways to prepare today for the fiscal close
On July 1, UCOP is moving to a new financial system. That means that our colleagues in the Business Resource Center (BRC) are already hard at work ensuring that open transactions can be completely closed out for the year.
Though July 1 seems far away, getting the system closed out will take longer than you might think. BRC staff must process the fiscal close for more than 100 departments, in addition to their day-to-day tasks. Please help them out by preparing your finances in advance. Here are six ways to get started today!
1. Boost your knowledge at a fiscal close workshop
BRC staff will be holding two Zoom workshops to break down what you need to know about fiscal close practices and procedures. Download a flyer (PDF).
Topics will include:
- Friday, May 1, 10 – 11:30 a.m.
- Monday, May 4, 2 – 3:30 p.m.
We recommend attending online so that you’ll be able to see the presentation.
- Web link
- Meeting ID: 630 933 030 / Password: BRCBRC
- +16699006833,,6441198174# US (San Jose)
- +16692192599,,6441198174# US (San Jose)
2. Submit travel reimbursements early and often
- Travelers: Check your Express queue regularly and submit any needed
- Proxies: Check your travelers’ queues often for reports that may require action.
- Travel and entertainment cardholders: All expenses must be paid and reconciled to a zero balance.
3. Review and clean up your open commitments
Review your open commitment report for accuracy:
- Go to finance.ucla.edu
- Select Online Financial System
- After signing in, go to UCLA Financial Web Reports > Detail > Open Commitment Subsidiary Ledger
Close any out-of-date purchase orders by emailing BRC-CAAP@ucop.edu.
4. Review your expenses
Review your ledgers to check that all expenses have been charged correctly. If any need to be corrected, complete an NPEAR form and upload it to ServiceNow > BRC CAAP > Cost Transfer.
5. Check your recharges
Review your ledgers to make sure your departments’ recharges to other campuses or departments are current. If a recharge needs to be made, please complete the Recharge Form and upload it to ServiceNow > BRC CAAP > Cost Transfer.
6. Identify any accrual/deferrals
If your department has an invoice (or bundle of invoices) from a single vendor for $25,000 or more that will be expensed this fiscal year, but not used or received in this fiscal year, you will need to initiate an accrual/deferral. To do so, complete the Accrual/Deferral Form and upload it into ServiceNow > BRC CAAP > Cost Transfer.
Have questions? The BRC is here to help.
Contact BRC staff at BRC-CAAP@ucop.eduTags: BRC, fiscal close