Due Aug. 31: STEP Checkpoint and new required training
The FY2021-22 performance appraisal process is already well underway. Here’s what you need to know to meet your deadlines and manage your career. (New to UCOP? Start at “For New Employees,” below.)
All employees — complete by Aug. 31
1. Take the new required GROW training
This year, we’re introducing the GROW coaching framework. GROW enables employees and managers have deeper, more meaningful and more comfortable performance appraisal conversations through structured feedback and coaching. Everyone must take a new on-demand e-course, GROWing Your Checkpoints for all Employees, which should take about 17 minutes. It has been automatically assigned to you in the UC Learning Center under required training. You can also access it here.
2. Review your goals and competencies in ePerformance
One of the great things about STEP is having an opportunity to refresh goals and competencies throughout the year. Before your Checkpoint, make any needed updates and prepare to discuss them with your manager.
3. Answer the four STEP discussion questions
In e-Performance, answer the four discussion questions on the Feedback tab. Be prepared to discuss your answers during your Checkpoint.
4. Have your Checkpoint conversation with your manager
Checkpoint conversations give you and your manager an opportunity to discuss the status of your goals and competencies, give and receive feedback, address concerns and discuss any needed support.
1. Make sure the Define Criteria stage is complete for all employees.
If you have not completed and approved the Define Criteria stage for an employee (this was due in May 2021), they won’t be able to complete the Checkpoint stage. Need help? Please reach out — see below for contacts.
2. Take the GROW training.
- Complete “GROWing Your Checkpoints for all Employees.” (See above)
- One additional course will be required for managers later in this performance cycle. More information will be provided once the training is live.
3. By Aug. 31, complete the first Checkpoint conversation with all your employees and complete your Checkpoint conversation with your manager.
We started training on the STEP performance management system last year, so you just need to catch up on what you’ve missed. A consolidated webinar with all Year 1 modules (for new employees and managers) will launch on Aug. 18. You’ll receive a detailed email from UCOP Learning and Development when it’s live.
Optional training and support
Need help? We’re here for you. Please check out the following optional resources for additional support. (All events are listed in Pacific Time.)
- STEP Office Hours: Drop-in for live help every Friday from 9 – 10:30 a.m.
- GROWing your Checkpoints live sessions: If you’ve completed your required GROW training but would like additional support, join us for discussion and practice. Employee session registration (Aug. 20, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.) or manager session registration (Aug. 17, 1 – 2 p.m.)
- STEP training on-demand: A new webinar that encompasses all Year 1 courses will be available starting Aug. 18. It will be a great way to refresh your memory. LinkedIn Learning Collection — UCOP STEP performance appraisal learning for managers and employees: Watch helpful on-demand videos (various lengths).
- ePerformance demonstration videos: Checkpoints for Managers (4 minutes) Checkpoints for Employees (3 minutes)
Additional resources can be found on the STEP website.GROW, performance appraisals, STEP