UCOP increases the STAR award maximum for the 2022-2023 fiscal year
Staff Appreciation and Recognition (STAR) awards are a key way for managers, supervisors and leaders to recognize individual staff or members of teams who have completed work on a specific project or event that is above and beyond the normal scope of their regular job.
And, as of July 1, 2022 — and throughout the 2022-23 fiscal year — UCOP has significantly boosted this impactful award program. Here’s what to expect:
- New award range: STAR awards can now range from $500 – $5,000 per employee per fiscal year. Previously, the maximum amount was $500.
- Single award of $2,000 or higher: High-value awards recognize sustained, exceptional performance, significant contribution to a major project achievement, and/or extraordinary leadership skills that actualize organizational goals.
- Greater awards eligibility: Employees are now eligible to receive multiple STAR awards, up to the $5,000 fiscal year maximum. Previously, employees were limited to one STAR recognition per fiscal year.
Five key FAQs about STAR awards
1. Who’s eligible to receive a STAR award?
The following UCOP employee classifications are eligible for STAR awards:
- Policy-covered career Professional and Support Staff (PSS) employees and Managers and Senior Professionals (MSP) employees
- Exclusively represented employees in the Clerical Unit (CX)
- Policy-covered employees and represented employees in the Clerical Unit (CX) with contract, per diem, limited, floater and/or casual restricted appointments
At the time of the award, eligible employees must meet the following criteria:
- On active pay status or an approved unpaid leave
- “Solid Performance” or better overall rating on the most recent annual performance evaluation. (New employees may be eligible if their manager confirms that they are “solidly performing” and provides a performance review.)
- Successful completion of a probationary period (if applicable)
- Completed work on a specific project or event that is above and beyond the normal scope of their regular job.
2. Who can nominate someone for a STAR award?
Any supervisor or manager can nominate someone for a STAR award.
3. How do managers and supervisors nominate someone for a STAR award?
Submit an award nomination using ServiceNow > Request Service > Human Resources > Staff Appreciation and Recognition Form. There are different requirements for individual and team award nominations.
4. How does the review and approval process work?
All STAR award nominations require:
- Endorsement of the employee’s immediate supervisor
- Approval of the employee’s division leader
- Approval of the head of the department that is funding the award
- Review and approval by the executive directors of UCOP Human Resources and UCOP Operations
Single STAR awards of $2,500 or higher also require review and approval by the executive vice president and chief operating officer and executive vice president and chief financial officer.
5. Where can I find more information?
For complete STAR Plan information, visit the STAR Program website. If you have additional questions, contact your HR Business Partner.
Tags: staff recognition, STAR awards