Tools and resources to prepare for your STEP Check-in
The FY2023-24 performance appraisal process began April 1, 2023, and the deadline for our first Check-in conversation in the Staff Talent Evaluation Process (STEP) is quickly approaching. Read through the information below for what you need to know to complete your Check-in conversation by Aug. 31, 2023.
For a quick review of STEP, including this year’s timelines, watch a five-minute STEP overview video. Are you new to UCOP? Start at “For New Employees,” below.
Complete the first two steps prior to meeting with your manager.
- Review, update and comment on your goals and competencies in ePerformance
STEP’s flexibility allows you to refresh goals and competencies throughout the year. Before your Check-in conversation, make any needed updates and prepare to discuss them with your manager.
- Answer the four STEP feedback questions
In e-Performance, answer the four discussion questions in the Feedback tab. Be prepared to discuss your answers during your Check-in.
- Complete your Check-in conversation with your manager by Aug. 31
Check-in conversations give you and your manager an opportunity to discuss the status of your goals and competencies, give and receive feedback, address concerns and discuss any needed support.
In addition to completing the steps above for your own Check-in, complete the following steps for the employees you manage.
- As soon as possible: Double-check that you’ve completed the Define Criteria stage for all employees you manage
Employees cannot update their comments or access their feedback questions to complete the steps above until you approve the Define Criteria stage, so it’s important to ensure that you’ve completed this important task. For help, watch the short video Define Criteria for Managers. If you need additional assistance, reach out to your HR business partner or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Schedule and complete Check-in conversations with your employees by Aug. 31
Review and provide comments on your employee’s goals, competencies and feedback questions. Complete the Check-in conversation with all your employees.
We know it can be confusing to learn about new performance appraisal systems, so we’ve developed several targeted resources to help get you up to speed. Select each course name below to register.
- STEP Fundamentals for Employees or Managers — Take whichever is relevant to your role (e-course; 2-3 hours)
- GROWing your Check ins Conversations for All Employees (e-course; 20 minutes)
- GROWing your Check ins for Managers — Managers must take this course in addition to the above training for all employees (live course; 2 hours)
— The next offerings will take place Aug. 15, from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. PT, and Aug. 31, from 2 – 4 p.m. PT
- GROWing your Check-In Conversations for Employees
(live course; 2 hours)
— The next course will take place Aug. 31 from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. PT
Additional resources and optional training
- GROWing your Check ins Conversations for All Employees (e-course; 20 minutes) — Optional for employees who have previously completed it
- ePerformance four-minute demo videos: Check-ins for Employees or Check-ins for Managers
- Guides: STEP guide, GROW Resource Guide, UC Core Competency Development Guide
- STEP website