Group 3 SharePoint users are moving to the cloud on Sept. 24
ITS’s initiative to move all SharePoint sites to the cloud-based platform SharePoint Online continues this month. Beginning Sept. 24, the UCOP SharePoint team, along with appointed site administrators within Group 3, will be working with our third-party vendor to ensure the success of this transition. The schedule is as follows:
|Phase||Moves to Production||Hypercare Starts||Hypercare Ends|
Once the migration is complete, existing group 3 SharePoint sites will be redirected to the new SharePoint Online sites. (For example, sp.ucop.edu will be redirected to ucofficeofthepresident.sharepoint.com.) This redirection will remain in place until December 2025; however, we recommend you begin using the new URLs immediately so that you will not face any disruption when the redirects expire.
Double-check your site’s group
Not sure which group you belong to? Refer to SharePoint site collections to view Group 3 sites.
Please note that the following site collections are deferred to a later phase due to their requirements:
What does the move to SharePoint Online mean for you?
- Your login will change.
• UCOP users will log in using their short email (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Users at other UC locations will log in using their “email@example.com.”
- You will have until December 2025 to update favorites, bookmarks and documents with the new URLs. For your reference, see this list of the old (existing) and new site collection URLs.
- If you continue to use the old URLs after December 2025, you will receive a message indicating that the URL is invalid and directing you to use the new URL.
- There may be a change to the look and feel of your site. For details, please refer to the FAQs.
How you can help
While the SharePoint team is working with a third-party vendor to facilitate the migration, there may be areas where your support is needed when moving to production. This might involve validating areas that were not captured during user acceptance testing. We will closely collaborate with you during this transition to address any issues that arise. For assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office hours are available
We will also hold office hours after your site collection is moved to production. If you wish to participate, please add this meeting invite to your calendar. Office hours are optional for end users who may have questions regarding the move to SharePoint Online.
- If you’re not sure of the type of documents you can store in SharePoint, refer to the Protection Level Classification. Please note, P3 and P4 information should not be stored in SharePoint. These documents should be stored securely in Box.
- Refer to the FAQs for answers to commonly asked questions regarding the move to SharePoint Online.
If you have further questions or concerns, please contact the SharePoint team.
Do you know of SharePoint users at campus locations? Please forward this information to them.
Tags: ITS, SharePoint, SharePoint Online