Protect Your Digital Life – Be CyberSafe
October 2023 marks the 20th anniversary of Cybersecurity Awareness Month, launched by the National Cybersecurity Alliance and the Department of Homeland Security. This is a milestone that reflects the continuous evolution of security awareness and education throughout the country. This October, the University of California’s theme is: “Protect Your Digital Life – Be CyberSafe.” Locations around the UC system will host events to help our community learn about and address security challenges to protect ourselves and every stakeholder at the university.
Learn more about our systemwide events and activities and register early to participate by visiting the UC Cybersecurity Awareness Month Calendar of Events.
Take these 4 steps to be protected
Follow these key cybersecurity best practices to help safeguard your information and the university’s:
- Use strong passwords, passphrases and, where possible, password managers: Implement robust passwords and passphrases to reduce the risk of unauthorized access to your data. Consider using a password manager to safely store and remember your passwords.
- Turn on multi-factor authentication (MFA): This extra layer of protection reduces the likelihood of unauthorized access to your accounts.
- Recognize and report phishing: Do not open links to suspicious emails and block emails from unauthorized senders. At work, report suspicious emails and behavior to your IT department.
- Update software: Regularly updating your operating system, applications and security software can help protect against threats.
Learn more about developments in cybersecurity
There are many ways to take part in Cybersecurity Awareness Month at the university and to create a safer, more secure and more trusted environment. From our Systemwide Cybersecurity Awareness Month landing page, you can:
- Link to your location’s Information Security Office for best practices and recommendations for your specific work location.
- Register to join our events, download the Cybersecurity Awareness Month Zoom backgrounds (with location branding) and explore additional resources to learn more about cybersecurity safety for both you and your family.
Tags: cybersecurity, National Cyber Security Awareness Month