Prepare for your STEP Check-in with these classes and resources
The deadline for our second Staff Talent Evaluation Process (STEP) Check-in conversation is always the first Friday in December — this year, that’s Dec. 1, 2023. These resources will help you complete yours successfully!
Live STEP workshops
Select each course link to register.
UCOP STEP Training for New Employees: Define Criteria (Optional)
Wednesday, Nov. 1, 10 – 11 a.m. (PT)
This instructor-led STEP training expands on the materials presented in the STEP Fundamentals for Employees eCourse by going into detail on the first stage of STEP, called Define Criteria. You will practice writing goals, then review strategies for choosing your focus competencies.
GROWing your Check-In Conversations for Employees (Optional)
Wednesday, Nov. 15, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. (PT)
This two-hour virtual live workshop provides an opportunity for employees to learn about the GROW framework and then practice using it in a mock STEP check-in to get peer feedback. You’ll also learn general tips and strategies for providing feedback to your manager. You must take the ecourse “GROWing your Check-in Conversations” prior to this class.
GROWing your Check-In Conversations for Managers (Required)
Tuesday, Nov. 7, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. (PT)
This interactive session provides managers with an opportunity to discuss and practice using the GROW framework as a strategy for supporting engaging STEP Check-in conversations. You’ll learn how to take a growth and development approach in employee-manager coaching and feedback conversations. You must take the ecourse “GROWing your Check-in Conversations” prior to this class.
Step-by-step STEP instructions
Complete the first two steps prior to meeting with your manager.
- Review, update and comment on your goals and competencies in ePerformance
STEP’s flexibility allows you to refresh goals and competencies throughout the year. Before your Check-in conversation, make any needed updates and prepare to discuss them with your manager.
- Answer the four STEP feedback questions
In e-Performance, answer the four discussion questions in the Feedback tab. Be prepared to discuss your answers during your Check-in.
- Complete your Check-in conversation with your manager by Dec. 1.
Check-in conversations give you and your manager an opportunity to discuss the status of your goals and competencies, give and receive feedback, address concerns and discuss any needed support.
In addition to completing the steps above for your own Check-in, complete the following steps for the employees you manage.
- As soon as possible: Double-check that you’ve completed the Define Criteria stage for all employees you manage
Employees cannot update their comments or access their feedback questions to complete the steps above until you approve the Define Criteria stage, so it’s important to ensure that you’ve completed this important task. For help, watch the short video Define Criteria for Managers. If you need additional assistance, reach out to your HR business partner or email email@example.com.
- Schedule and complete Check-in conversations with your employees by Dec. 1.
Review and provide comments on your employee’s goals, competencies and feedback questions. Complete the Check-in conversation with all your employees.
In addition to the steps above, take your required training:
- STEP Fundamentals for Employees or Managers — Take whichever is relevant to your role (e-course; 2-3 hours)
- GROWing your Check ins Conversations for All Employees (e-course; 20 minutes)
- GROWing your Check ins for Managers — Managers must take this course in addition to the above training for all employees (live course; 2 hours)
Additional resources and optional training
- Five-minute STEP overview video
- GROWing your Check ins Conversations for All Employees (e-course; 20 minutes) — Optional for employees who have previously completed it
- ePerformance four-minute demo videos: Check-ins for Employees or Check-ins for Managers
- Guides: STEP guide, GROW Resource Guide, UC Core Competency Development Guide
- STEP website
Tags: performance appraisals, STEP