STEP Define Criteria: Goals and competencies due May 31
As one performance year ends, we now shift our focus to the next one. It’s time to Define Criteria for the 2023-24 performance year, which began on April 1. It is important to set performance expectations as early in the year as possible to ensure you and your manager are on the same page. May 31 is the deadline for entering goals and selecting competencies.
In the Define Criteria phase, you need to:
- Discuss your goals with your manager and capture new and continuing goals in the ePerformance system
- Select competencies from the predefined UC core competencies
- Let your manager know when you’ve completed these and are ready for their review and approval
- Refer to the list of training and resources below for information and help completing these action items
Remember, STEP is an iterative process in which goals may extend beyond a single performance year, and new goals and competencies can be added throughout the year. Creating goals that are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound (SMART goals) can greatly improve your chances of success.
The 2022/2023 Performance Year at a glance
Performance Year – April 1, 2023 through March 31, 2024
STEP for New Employees: Define Criteria
May 9, 2 – 3 p.m. (PT)
In this virtual, live training on the Staff Talent Evaluation Process (STEP), we practice writing goals and review strategies for choosing focus competencies. Although designed for new employees, all are welcome! Register here.
Online STEP resources
UCOP STEP Training for Employees: Watch the Define Criteria sections, 2.4-2.6. (This is the compilation of videos from the year one training where you can self-select any section to watch.)
Tips on entering goals in ePerformance:
- Be sure to select the 2023/24 document. You will see two sets of documents, as we are currently finishing the 2022/23 performance cycle.
- Refer to pages 4-7 of the STEP ePerformance reference guide
- Watch short instructional videos:
• Define Criteria for Managers
• Define Criteria for Employees
Support for choosing competencies: Read about UCOP Core Competencies and explore the UC Core Competency Development Guide (PDF) to learn about the behavioral anchors and competency definitions, as well as to find ideas for personal and professional development.
Additional resources are available on the STEP website.Tags: ePerformance, performance management, STEP