UCOP EDI and Anti-Racism Town Hall: Event summary and video
On July 10, all staff were invited to join the UCOP Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) and Anti-Racism Advisory Group for an update on the unified EDI Framework for UCOP.
Box log-in is required for the below resources:
Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Rachael Nava began the event by highlighting the equity and inclusion value within the new UCOP Strategic Framework:
We value the diverse perspective and identities of our workforce and are intentional in developing a culture of inclusion and belonging for all. We strive towards becoming an anti-racist organization that dismantles systemic discrimination. We center the needs and experiences of our workforce most impacted by historical injustices in our practice and policy, so that all have the opportunity to thrive. We adhere to the highest standards of professionalism, quality, and expertise. We lead our respective disciplines and foster a system that delivers superior outcomes.
Rachael explained that it is essential for UCOP to adopt a unified framework and common set of EDI goals to further our work toward becoming an anti-racist organization. She further reiterated the importance of two tenets contained in the EDI Framework — steadfast leadership, including intentional effort and focus to advance EDI priorities, and shared accountability to drive sustainability in this work.
Advisory Group members Trish Dolan, Epiphanie Gillett and Michelle Vanier presented the EDI Framework, including the mission, vision and key tenets. They described the group’s ongoing goals development work.
UCOP Anti-Racism Task Force EDI Data & Metrics workgroup leads Miranda Josafat and Laura Kertz then gave an update on the EDI Transparency Dashboard. This tool will provide information on UCOP’s workforce demographics, organized by division. Its rollout will be accompanied by training modules, which will give UCOP leaders ongoing opportunities for learning and reflection to advance EDI at UCOP.
Lalitha Sankaran, director of the Office of Workplace Inclusion and Belonging, described the Advisory Group’s goal development work in more detail and announced that an EDI Town Hall, to be scheduled in late 2023, will provide an update on these goals. She asked attendees to provide feedback on the work thus far to their Advisory Group representatives.
UCOP EDI and Anti-Racism Advisory Group members
- Andenet Emiru, UC Health
- Camille Bibeau, UC Labs
- Chris Procello, Institutional Research and Academic Planning
- Cynthia Davalos, Graduate, Undergraduate and Equity Affairs
- Elizabeth Moon, UC Agriculture & Natural Resources
- Epiphanie Gillette, UC Legal
- Günter Waibel, California Digital Library
- Jody Stiger, UC Operations
- Karen Arnold, UCOP Human Resources
- Ken Feer, Academic Senate
- Marie Hairston, Systemwide Human Resources
- Michelle Vanier, UC Finance
- Patricia Nguyen, External Relations & Communications
- Paul Williams, UC Finance
- Shirley Bittlingmeier, IT Client Services
- Steve Garber, Academic Affairs
- Sun Cotter, UC Health
- Trish Dolan, UCOP Employee Resource Groups Representative
- Wendy Pulling, Chief Investment Office
- Yvonne Li, Office of the Secretary and Chief of Staff to the Board of Regents
- July 10 UCOP EDI and Anti-Racism Town Hall event recording
- July 10 UCOP EDI and Anti-Racism Town Hall event slides
- Office of Workplace Inclusion and Belonging
- Anti-Racism Task Force
- UCOP employee resource groups
- UCOP Strategic Framework
- UC anti-racism resources
- UC Managing Implicit Bias Series
- UCOP LinkedIn Learning Collection: Belonging and Inclusion (LinkedIn Learning log-in required; learn how to access your account.)
For additional questions about the work of the UCOP EDI and Anti-Racism Advisory Group, contact Lalitha Sankaran.
Tags: anti-racism, Anti-Racism Task Force, EDI, OWIB