Apply for the Take Charge: Developing a Career Strategy program
What is Take Charge?
Take Charge: Developing a Career Strategy is a five-month program that provides administrative and support staff with tools to better direct and manage their careers. The program is sponsored by UCOP Human Resources Learning & Development and is designed to help employees:
- Think strategically about their career development
- Develop, clarify, and/or reflect on career goals
- Develop key interpersonal and networking skills that are necessary for career mobility
Who is eligible?
The program is aimed at employees who are interested in learning how best to position themselves for career growth. All administrative and support staff are encouraged to apply. Applicants will need the support of their supervisors/managers. Up to 20 people will be selected to participate.
Past participants have included:
- Accounting assistants
- Administrative assistants
- Administrative officers
- Budget coordinators
- Customer service representatives
- Executive assistants
- HR assistants
- Policy analysts
What are the elements of the program?
There are six two-hour instructor-led content sessions which provide professional development and career strategy tools. The program content is supplemented with self-guided assignments and five peer mentoring sessions facilitated by the program consultants/instructors. Professional development topics include: Singing Your Praises-Self Advocacy; Managing Up; and Negotiation Skills. Career management topics include: Career Planning and Networking; Effective Resume Writing; and Interviewing Tips and Strategies.
What is the timeline for the program?
- Applications available: Sept. 12 at http://www.ucop.edu/local-human-resources/your-career/take-charge-program.html
- Information session: Tuesday, Sept. 26, 12:15 to 12:45 p.m. (via Zoom only – see event information on Link calendar)
- Information session: Thursday, Sept. 28, 12:15 to 12:45 p.m. (via Zoom only – see event information on Link calendar)
- Application due date: Submitted by 5 p.m. on Oct. 27 to Lance.Page@ucop.edu.
- Participant notification: Via email Nov. 6 – 10.
- Program begins: Manager-only orientation on Dec. 6; participants begin on Jan. 10.
Where can I find out more details such as the program session dates, times and locations?
For this information and more, please see the Take Charge Program page http://www.ucop.edu/local-human-resources/your-career/take-charge-program.html.
If you have questions or need information not listed on that page, please contact Lance.Page@ucop.edu.