STEP Define Criteria: Goals and competencies are now past due
As one performance year ends we now shift our focus to the next one. It’s time to Define Criteria for the 2022-23 performance year, which began on April 1. It is important to set performance expectations as early in the year as possible to ensure you and your manager are on the same page. Even though the May 31 deadline for entering goals and selecting competencies has passed, please do so as soon as possible.
In the Define Criteria phase, you need to:
- Discuss your goals with your manager and capture new and continuing goals in the ePerformance system
- Select competencies from the predefined UC core competencies
- Let your manager know when you’ve completed and are ready for their review and approval
- Refer to the list of training and resources below for information and help completing these action items
Remember, STEP is an iterative process in which goals may extend beyond a single performance year, and new goals and competencies can be added throughout the year. Creating goals that are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound (SMART goals) can greatly improve your chances of success.
The 2022/2023 Performance Year at a glance
Performance Year – April 1, 2022, through March 31, 2023
Training and Resources
Office hours: Drop-in STEP office hours take place every Friday from 9-10 a.m. (PT) through June. No registration is needed (Zoom link).
- Watch the Define Criteria sections 2.4-2.6 in the UCOP STEP Training for Employees. This is the compilation of videos from the year one training where you can self-select any section to watch.
- For help on how to enter goals in ePerformance:
— Remember to select the 2022/23 document since you will see two sets of documents as we are currently finishing up the 2021/22 performance cycle.
— Refer to pages 4-7 of the STEP ePerformance reference guide.
— Watch these short videos:
— Define Criteria for Managers
— Define Criteria for Employees
— Read how SMART goals can help you succeed.
— Watch the 5-minute Establish SMART goals LinkedIn Learning video.
Support for choosing competencies:
- Review the UCOP Core Competency webpage for a list of the core competencies with behavioral anchors and the UCOP Core Competency Development guide.
- To explore the various UCOP competencies and learn how they relate to your day-to-day work, check out the UCOP Core Competency LinkedIn Learning collections for targeted courses and videos.
For all STEP resources, please visit the UCOP Performance Appraisal Learning Resources webpage.
Tags: Define Criteria, performance appraisals, STEP