STEP Check-in due August 31
The FY2022-23 performance appraisal process began April 1, 2022, and your first Staff Talent Evaluation Process (STEP) Check-in is quickly approaching. Here’s what you need to know to complete it. (New to UCOP? Start at “For New Employees,” below.)
Complete the first two steps prior to meeting with your manager, and then meet.
1. Review and comment on your goals and competencies in ePerformance
STEP’s flexibility allows you to refresh goals and competencies throughout the year. Before your Check-in conversation, make any needed updates and prepare to discuss them with your manager.
2. Answer the four STEP Feedback questions
In ePerformance, answer the four discussion questions in the Feedback tab. Be prepared to discuss your answers during your Check-in.
3. Have your Check-in conversation with your manager by August 31
Check-in conversations give you and your manager an opportunity to discuss the status of your goals and competencies, give and receive feedback, address concerns and discuss any needed support.
1. Make sure the Define Criteria stage is complete for your employees as soon as possible
If you have not approved the Define Criteria stage for your employees, they will not be able to update their comments or access their feedback questions. Need help? Watch the short video Define Criteria for Managers. You may also reach out to your HR Business Partner or email STEP@ucop.edu.
2. Have your Check-in conversation with your employees by August 31
Review and provide comments on your employees’ goals, competencies and feedback questions. Complete the Check-in conversation with all your employees.
To get up to speed on STEP, the UCOP performance appraisal process, please watch one of the following courses, depending on your current role: STEP Fundamentals for Employees or STEP Fundamentals for Managers. Please review the additional resources and training listed below for support in successfully completing STEP.
Additional resources and training
- STEP Office Hours: Drop in for live help every Friday in August from 9 – 10:30 a.m.
- Coaching Lab for Managers: Practice check-in conversations with peers using the GROW model. Bring your real scenarios and register for one of the classes happening every Friday in August from 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- GROWing your Check-ins for All Employees (20-minute ecourse)
- ePerformance demo video: Check-ins for Employees or Check-in for Managers (4 minutes)
- STEP guide, GROW Resource Guide, UC Core Competency Development Guide
- Additional resources can be found on the STEP website
Questions? Contact your manager, HR Business Partner or STEP@ucop.edu.
Tags: performance appraisals, STEP, STEP Check-in