Updates and links for new STEP performance appraisal process
Last month, UCOP HR introduced our new performance appraisal process, STEP (Staff Talent Evaluation Process). To learn more about STEP, read the Link overview article, watch a short video overview and visit the Performance Appraisal Process webpage. You may also wish to review the new UC Core Competencies, as well as the ePerformance Guidebook, which helps you navigate the new system for STEP.
Here’s what you need to know to complete the first phase of the 2020/2021 performance appraisal process.
Complete required online training
All employees must complete three self-paced online courses through the UC Learning Center. These courses, which will familiarize you with the new system and position you for success, include the following (please note that completion times are estimated):
- Module 1 – all employees: STEP overview (15 minutes)
- Module 2 – all employees: STEP define criteria — determine goals and choose competencies (15 minutes)
- Module 3a – employees with no direct reports: Employee demonstration of defining criteria (5 minutes)
- Module 3b – people managers: Manager demonstration of defining criteria — includes module 3a information (5 minutes)
Complete the define criteria stage
Follow the directions in the third self-paced module to complete the define criteria stage by Dec. 1, 2020. (Please note that the link you received via email incorrectly references an April 1, 2020 due date.)
Consider optional training
If you’d like more guidance and be able to ask questions about navigating STEP, consider joining your friendly and knowledgeable Learning and Development colleagues for a live virtual training. Please note that you must complete the required modules prior to attending these live trainings.
Starting Oct. 13, Learning and Development will offer an interactive online STEP training. In these sessions, participants will:
- Review material from the modules
- Have an opportunity to discuss change and transition
- Practice determining their goals and competencies
- Interact with your colleagues in breakout rooms
Starting Oct. 16, we will offer open sessions for you to ask questions about the STEP process, learn how to navigate the system and other concerns. Multiple dates and times are available for employee office hours and people manager office hours.
Not sure which competencies align best with your goals? Attend an hourlong session to learn more about the updated competencies, how they were developed and how UCOP they align with the STEP process. Register for the UC Core Competencies introduction (classes begin Oct. 15).
For additional questions regarding your goals and the appraisal process, please contact your manager or UCOP Human Resources business partner.Tags: performance appraisal, STEP